With the new year upon us comes new resolutions. Most people want to start staying active and eating healthier. So instead of heading to the nearest drive-in or cafeteria, bring your lunch to work this week!
Science has found that preparing your own food means you consume fewer calories, fewer carbohydrates, less sugar and less fat. Cooking at home builds healthy habits, by discovering healthy recipes, learning about food and sticking to a meal plan, you will be motivated to live a healthier lifestyle. There are many other benefits of cooking at home such as it encourages family bonding, saves you money and you know your food came from a clean, safe kitchen!
1. Avocado chicken salad with carrots and raspberries:
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup plain Greek Yogurt
Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20-30 minutes.
2. Spring mix salad with apples and pretzels:
- 1 cup spring salad mix
- 2 tbsp of your favorite dressing
- 1/4 cup shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup blueberries
3. Avocado provolone turkey wraps with cucumbers and blueberries:
- tortilla wraps
- garlic and herb cheese
- black pepper turkey
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 1/4 sliced avocado
- 4 strips red bell pepper
Layer tortilla, garlic and herb cheese, spinach, black pepper turkey, 2 slices provolone cheese, 1/4 sliced avocado, and 4 strips red bell pepper.
4. Spinach, Tomato and Mozzarella Pasta Salad with strawberries and carrots:
- 2 1/2 cups multigrain rotini pasta
- Italian Dressing
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) package baby spinach
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
What is your favorite lunch item to pack for work?